Thursday, September 3, 2009

Antioch: Reloaded

Frankly, when word came to my ear (well, eye) that the ever-determined alumni board had finally managed to wrestle control of Antioch College from the Board of Trustees, I was rather surprised. By this point, I had pretty much resolved myself to the fact that the Alumni Board might very well have been damned to eternal, legal combat with the Board of Trustees: Doomed to fight unto the end of days. Yet, apparently, documents are being signed, plans are being finalized, and an Independent Antioch College is about to rise from the ashes, like some sort of psychedelic phoenix. I guess we'll just pick right up where we left off then, eh?

Heh.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect but the multitudes of alumni who have given up their jobs, and put their lives on hold over the last two odd years to work towards such an achievement. Antiochian's are, if anything, an incredibly convicted and determined lot, and certainly know a thing or two about grass roots organizing. Admittedly, there's still the arduous task of rebuilding a college, but based on what I've seen, there's little doubt in my mind that it can be accomplished.

However,  having now properly praised the efforts of the alumni, I feel obligated, if not bound by some unwritten, cosmic law, to make the following the statement: 

Fuck the Board of Trustees.

For whatever reason, whenever I heard news that the titanic clash between the AB, or the ACCC, and the BoT was still going on, I felt a compulsion to fire off a rant about accountability and basic business ethics. Believe me when I say that I'm quite over the mess, and I'm quite happy to be graduating from NYU. But, since I'm rather keen to Management Theory, I don't seem to be able to simply shrug off being dragged through the emotional mud for two semesters by a bunch careless twits who forgot that they were fucking up not only the education progression of the students involved but also that of the community of the entire village of Yellow...

Okay, so maybe I'd not quite over it yet, but should anyone? Obviously, its not good to carry a grudge, but the fact that the majority of the BoT have still yet to be truly held accountable for their actions is incredibly disheartening. I'm not saying I want blood (the utter annihilation of their professional credibility would suffice, resulting in an existence devoted to the completion of menial and unfulfilling tasks), but these people should not be given the freedom to fuck around with the educational careers of anyone else!

Inhale.

Exhale.

I'm going to stop myself there, because I'm likely to go on, ad infinitum, until I run myself out of mental energy otherwise.

Rock on, Alumni.

No comments:

Post a Comment